So you’re now ready to take your final step to gaining your full driving licence.
On the day you MUST remember:
- Your appointment letter/e-mail confirming the date and time of your test.
- Your photo card licence.
- Theory test certificate.
Failing to remember all of these things could result in you not being able to take your test.
At the start of the test the examiner will give you an eye sight test. If you fail this the practical test will not continue.
Next he will ask you one of your vehicle safety questions, the other question will be out on the road. These are also known as “show me/tell me questions”
Then you will go on a drive of approximately 40 minutes. This will also incorporate 1 of the following manoeuvres
- Forward bay park.
- Reverse parallel park.
- Reverse bay park.
- Pulling over on the right of the road and reverse safely.
- There is also a 1 in 3 chance of having to do an emergency stop.
As part of the test you will have to drive using a sat nav, or drive independently for approximately 20 minutes.
- You could be shown a diagram with directions on, the directions will also be told to you verbally. It is then expected that you remember the directions; keeping your driving safe at the same time.
- The other possibility is that you are asked to follow the roads sign to a specific place such as Mersea this will normally last for 2 or 3 junctions.
Remember you cannot fail for going the wrong way as long as it is done safely as this is not a driving fault
On your drive the examiner will record any faults s/he sees. You are allowed a max of 15 minor driving faults. No serious or dangerous faults are acceptable and this will result in an automatic fail. You will not be told your result until the end of the test back at the test centre
There are 19 possible questions that can be asked and you will be asked 2; usually 1 show me question and 1 tell me question.